Should I Add UM/UIM or MedPay to My Auto Insurance Policy?

When handling car accident claims, Nevada follows a fault-based, or “tort,” system. That means if you’re struck by a drunk, drowsy, or distracted driver while operating your own vehicle, you have every right to seek compensation for the losses you incur.

In most cases, you’ll do so by filing a third-party claim with the liable party’s auto insurer—but what if they don’t have enough—or any—coverage to compensate you adequately?

Sadly, this is the reality many car accident victims face. Nevada only requires motorists to carry $25,000 in bodily injury or death per person and $50,000 per accident. They must carry an additional $20,000 in liability insurance to cover the property damage that results from any one incident.

While that might seem like a lot of money, consider the average cost of a trip to the emergency room. If you sustain anything more than minor lacerations, you could easily face a bill amounting to tens of thousands of dollars—or more. There are indirect expenses to consider, as well. Lost wages, for example, can add up fast.

It’s also worth noting that just because motorists are required to carry insurance doesn’t mean all of them do. There are scenarios in which an at-fault driver doesn’t have any liability coverage at all.

Thankfully, you can ensure another avenue of compensation should an uninsured or underinsured motorist ever hit you. By adding the following kinds of optional coverage to your policy, you’ll have maximum protection and total peace of mind.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured motorist coverage, or UM, will apply if you’re struck by someone who doesn’t have an active auto insurance policy. The applicable caps will depend on the terms of your policy.

Generally speaking, it’s advisable to purchase at least as much in UM coverage as you do in liability insurance. This will ensure you’re as protected as those you’re protecting in the event of a wreck.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage

As the name implies, underinsured motorist coverage, or UIM, picks up where the at-fault driver’s coverage ends. For example, if your injury claim is worth $50,000 and the liable party only has the minimum mandated amount of $25,000, your own carrier will kick in the other $25,000, assuming you have at least that much available to you based on the terms of your policy.

For maximum protection, car accident attorneys—who have seen firsthand just how much damage a crash can do—advise motorists to purchase an umbrella policy with $1 million in UM/UIM coverage. This will ensure adequate coverage in everything but the most catastrophic situations.

MedPay Coverage

MedPay coverage is another form of optional insurance in the state of Nevada. Unlike UM and UIM, however, fault doesn’t matter. That means even if you’re to blame for the wreck, your MedPay coverage will reimburse you for any reasonable and necessary medical expenses you incur (up to the policy’s limit).

MedPay coverage can also pay for the medical expenses of those who were riding in your vehicle at the time. As an added benefit, there is no right of subrogation when it comes to such coverage. That means if your own carrier covers your hospital bills and then you secure a payout from the liable party’s carrier, you do not have to reimburse your carrier for the expenses they covered.

It’s important to note that health insurance carriers, on the other hand, usually have a right of subrogation. As such, they expect to be compensated when a claimant secures a personal injury payout.

Speak with a Las Vegas Car Accident Attorney

Were you seriously hurt in a collision through no fault of your own? Are you concerned the liable party doesn’t have enough coverage to reimburse you for the damages? To determine the best way to proceed, turn to Maier Gutierrez & Associates.

Backed by a proven track record of success, our tenacious team will use all the resources at our disposal to help you seek the maximum payout possible. To schedule a free case review with one of our Las Vegas car accident lawyers, call 702-629-7900 or submit our Contact Form.