26 May Ten Reasons to Consider Legal Action after a Personal Injury
Most people are fortunate to never be involved in a major car collision or experience an injury from a slip-and-fall. For those who have gone through the trauma related to a personal injury most likely did not see themselves in the uncertain position they were forced to face. Hiring a law firm during this difficult time can help ease the mind, get connected with the proper medical professionals, and assist in returning to a sense of normalcy.
Read on for ten reasons to consider hiring a law firm after a personal injury.
- Compensation. Whether the victim of a personal injury has medical insurance or not, the injured party is entitled to compensation under Nevada law. The money awarded to those injured have the express purpose of trying to make a person whole by helping them return to the condition they were in just before the crash happened. Compensation includes money for past and future medical care needed as a result of the crash as well as for lost wages and loss of earning capacity. Compensation also includes money for the pain, suffering, mental anguish, and the loss of enjoyment of life because of the injuries suffered.
- Injuries are severe and life changing. Not everyone involved in a car accident needs to hire an attorney. If the accident was a minor fender bender with no injuries, there may not be a basis for a bodily injury claim and there would be no need to retain a law firm. However, with any serious injury, people could suffer severe trauma and not know what to do next. In this situation, working with a law firm with personal injury expertise helps the injured person focus on recovering and trying to get back to their life as it was before the crash.
- Restoration to “before.” The goal of the personal injury process is for the injured person to try to get back to “normal” or the condition they were in immediately before the crash. While this term might be difficult to define and is unique to the individual, it includes objective damages like medical bills, automobile repair or replacement, wage loss, and subjective damages like pain and suffering, mental anguish, and the loss of enjoyment of life.
- Health and wellbeing. Working with a law firm specializing in personal injury allows the client to focus on the healing process and have access to the best medical care to give them a chance to get back to their condition before the crash. Some doctors will not treat patients injured as a result of a personal injury or without an attorney involved. Sometimes this is due to the doctor not wanting to be involved as a witness in a potential litigation. Other times it is because the medical provider cannot provide medical treatment if the injured person does not have health insurance. Hiring a law firm specializing in personal injury like Maier Gutierrez & Associates will alleviate these issues and allow the client to focus on getting their life back.
- Medical liens. Medical liens allow a person injured because of someone else’s negligence to receive medical care without deductibles or any up-front payments. A medical lien is a contract between the injured person and the doctor to ensure payment for the medical care will be paid following the resolution of the personal injury case. Medical liens are helpful for people who may not have health insurance and are injured because of the negligence of another person. With a medical lien, the injured person is assured that he/she is able to get the medical care they need without having to worry about co-pays, insurance referrals, unpaid medical bills going to collection, or other up-front payments.
- Understanding the severity of an injury and need for future medical treatment. Nevada law provides that a person injured as a result of the negligence of another person is entitled to the payment of his/her medical bills related to the incident. This includes the medical treatment doctors recommend the injured person will need in the future because of the injuries It is important to ascertain the extent of one’s injuries, as some injuries may be permanent or require medical treatment for the long-term or throughout the patient’s life. In some instances, the collision may cause an injury where there is no cure, and the treatment is to provide as much pain relief as possible. It is important for the injured person to have access to the best medical care possible so he or she knows the extent of the injury, the need and cost for future medical care, and the dangers if the injury is left untreated. Once a personal injury case is settled, it cannot be re-opened in the future to obtain additional compensation, so it is very important to have an experienced law firm guide you through this process.
- No up-front fees or costs. When hiring Maier Gutierrez & Associates, there is no consultation fee or up-front out-of-pocket expenses for the client. Our firm will advance all costs and expenses for the case, and the attorney fee is based on a percentage of the money actually recovered. If there is no recovery, Maier Gutierrez & Associates will absorb the costs it incurs in representing the client. There is no downside to consulting an attorney, as the consultation is free and there is no payment of fees or costs until there is actually a recovery on the case.
- Navigating the insurance process. Filing a claim for damages from a car crash can feel like walking through a minefield. Insurance companies are sophisticated entities that regularly deal with personal injury claims. Insurance company profits are also directly related to how much money they can charge for premiums compared to how little they pay out on claims This is why insurance companies will use any possible excuse to deny or reduce the amount paid a claim. Therefore, a person injured in a car crash needs to be careful in what they say to insurance companies when reporting a claim and should consult with an attorney before speaking with an insurance company.
- Personal attention and case concierges: Maier Gutierrez & Associates’ team of attorneys and case concierges help our clients navigate through the medical and legal process in a kind, educated, and caring way. An attorney and/or case concierge will always be available for questions and to help with appointments or other issues that arise during the case. At Maier Gutierrez & Associates, clients have an advocate invested in their healing and return to normalcy.
- There are many factors to compensation. The assets and/or insurance coverage of the negligent party is a major factor in how much money can be recovered because of a car crash. Our team is trained to search for all available insurance coverage and potential assets in order to make sure our clients have access to as much compensation as possible, to try to make them whole.
Recovering from the mental, emotional, and physical pain and damages because of the negligence of another person is a serious matter. At Maier Gutierrez & Associates, our motto is “Justice is not a game,” because we are fully aware and prepared to handle the complexities and hurdles in navigating through the legal process to the very end. Our team holds the healing and wellbeing of our clients at the core of what we do, and we want to ensure that the healing process and legal challenges our clients face are our priorities as well. While no one expects to have to go through a personal injury claim, Maier Gutierrez & Associates offers the caring support to navigate the legal process coupled with a history of successful client results. Contact us today if we can be of help to you or a loved one.